Our animals are such an important part of our lives, but for those of you who have allergies, you might find it a little difficult at times to cuddle them. Even just having a pet in your home can make it tough to get around when you’re dealing with allergens everywhere. Allergens are basically proteins that shed off your pet and are spread throughout your home via air conditioning or heating, and can really be irritating for those who are hypersensitive.
Luckily, it’s easy these days to combat these allergens with a great air purifier. These purifiers are more for you than for your k9 as they remove airborne allergens so you can breathe easier. The filters help to remove even the smallest particles in the air and keep those pesky odors to a bare minimum. In conjunction with a quality vacuum cleaner, a purifier can certainly improve your daily life. In this article, we’ll take you through the top 10 best air purifier for pets.
10.25 x 7 x 21.5 in
10.8 x 8.1 x 16.4 inches
16.5 x 8.9 x 21.9 inches
8.9 x 5.4 x 22 inches
7.5 x 6.4 x 10.4 inches
12.8 x 6.4 x 16.1 inches
5.5 x 6.5 x 17 inches
8.1 x 10.8 x 16.4 inches
28.7 x 11.2 x 10 inches
12.5 x 11 x 15 inches
Different Types of Air Purifiers
There are lots of different purifiers out there that don’t all work the same. Here’s a quick run-through of five main types that are available on the market:
- HEPA Technology traps 99.97% of particles, including bacteria and viruses that cannot be seen. They’re even able to trap mold or bacteria without generating ozone
- Activated Carbon Technology uses pores to capture chemical emissions, odors, smoke, and gases. High caliber filters get those allergens for you too
- UV Technology doesn’t get rid of airborne particles as much as it kills germs and viruses. Air pollutants are destroyed and broken down safely
- Negative Ion air purifiers work by using chemical injections. They clean the air, but don’t often absorb pollutants in the air, and cover up odor instead of getting rid of it
- Ozone purifiers produce ozone for you to control air pollution. Be aware that too much ozone is dangerous though, and particles like pollen aren’t actually removed
Overview of the Top 10 air purifiers for pet dander
The GermGuardian AC4825 works with a HEPA filter to get most of the dust and allergens in the air around you. That means you can easily use it not only for dander but for mold and plant pollens too. If pet odor is a problem as well, use the charcoal filter to get rid of odors all at once. It’s perfect for medium sized rooms thanks to the 3-speed tower.
People love that the HEPA filter only needs replacement once a year, so you can keep using this with your pets year round. It works quickly and set up is simple, providing great air circulation and odor reduction. For those of you with cats and dogs sporting long hair, you’ll notice how quickly all that danger is cleaned up, even in a large-sized room. It’s pretty quiet too, so it shouldn’t scare your furry friend too much either.
- Highly effective filtration mechanism
- Capable of capturing 99.97% of airborne pollutants
- 3-in-1 filter design enables it to remove particles, germs, and odor from the air
- True HEPA filtration mechanism
- Features a UV light mechanism suitable for killing airborne viruses and bacteria
- Utilizes a carbon filter to remove odor and smoke particles from the air
- UV-C bulb and filters are replaceable and an indicator light alerts you to replace them when needed
- Efficient - designed to consume minimum energy
- Quiet - the sound produced is tolerable and not disturbing
- There might be some weird plastic smell that takes a while to get rid of
- Not suitable to be used in really large rooms
With the 99% HEPA filter used in Hamilton Beach’s air purifier, you’re not only saving money, but you’re cleaning out your air too. Two replaceable carbon zeolite filters completely get rid of odors, which may work especially well if you place it near your kitty’s litter box. It can work in rooms of up to 140 square feet and uses a permanent HEPA filter. No more replacements necessary.
This purifier is perfect for pets since it really cleans out the air. You’re able to keep it running 24/7 without experiencing any sort of problems. You will have to clear out the filters obviously, but the fact that they’re dirty lets you know they’re working! People with dogs especially love it, since even having multiple dogs doesn’t stop it from doing its job. It’s thankfully quite small too, so you’re able to place it anywhere you need.
- Uses a permanent 99% HEPA filter
- Comes with two replaceable carbon zeolite filters
- Great for dog owners, gets rid of smells very effectively
- Compact, small design
- Affordable and budget friendly because of the permanent HEPA filter
- Effective performance for up to 140 square foot rooms
- The HEPA filter is easy to clean with a vacuum cleaner
- The efficacy can decline with the age of the carbon inserts
- The exhaust is fairly strong even on Whisper setting
This filter works to capture 99.99% of airborne particles, of course including both dander and allergens that are extremely small. The washable advanced odor control carbon filter specifically works to capture odors, while the pre-filter extends the filter life by capturing hair and larger particles. PlasmaWave technology will capture even molecules! You can set it however you want so that it will automatically work to the needs of your home.
Even the day after using the Winix filter, people notice that they’re already breathing easier around their kitties You can run it 24/7 to clear the air, but you’ll be surprised that there’s not any noticeable difference in your power bills. It barely consumes any energy! It’s extremely tiny, meaning that you can place it anywhere and with any type of room. Winix even replaces bad units quickly with great customer service to help you out with any problems.
- True HEPA Filtration captures 99.99% of airborne pollutants
- Very energy efficient
- Attractive modern design that will blend in with any interior
- Amazing visible filtration of allergens and other airborne particles
- Because of dust, odor and light sensors when operating on auto-mode it will speed up and slow down according to the particles and odors it will detect in the air
- Quiet when working
- Great value for the price
- Easy to clean and maintain: The filter is easy to change and needs to be changed only once in the year
- The light sensor can be improved
- The premium filter cassette is expensive to replace
This sleek Germ Guardian includes a Pure antimicrobial agent right in the filter. That means that the growth of mildew and odor causing bacteria is inhibited by the filter, with the HEPA technology capturing 99.97% of those allergens you’re concerned about. Thankfully, there’s a charcoal filter right inside too in order to reduce those nasty odors. The UV-C light technology works with titanium dioxide in order to kill those airborne allergens, helping you breathe easier.
Not only is this Germ Guardian designed well, but it’s also small and quiet too. People love that it doesn’t scare their animals while eliminating hair and dander with ease. If you keep the filter clean here and there, you won’t even need to replace it. Use it throughout your whole house as it works perfectly from room to room. Cat owners find that it works great next to the litter box for smell especially.
- Very attractive, modern design
- Very well made and sturdy - lasts long
- Perfect for pet owners: Comes with Pet Pure antimicrobial agent added to the filter
- Very effective UV-C light technology for killing bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores
- Best used for small to medium rooms
- True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of allergens including pet dander, dust mites, and pollen
- Energy efficient, CADR rated 100+
- Fairly quiet operation
- Does a great job with pet hair
- If you keep the filter clean on a regular basis, you won't have to change it.
- Works better with cat odor and hair than dogs
- A bit more expensive compared to other models
If you’re dealing with hair and allergens, Germ Guardian is a great company for filters. This filter specifically captures 99% of dust, dander, allergens, mold spores, and even plant pollens. It uses charcoal filters like other versions and easily gets rid of common odors without a problem. The UV-C light technology and titanium dioxide will clean up your air while the 3-speed table top tower is perfect for any room size or any small space.
You can fit this purifier in any small area, but what people really love it how quick and effortless it is. Some buyers have left it at home for just a few hours and find that the air is already cleaner when they return! It’s completely safe to leave unsupervised, even with your furbaby round. Cat owners notice a huge decrease in litter box smell, and even if it does run a little loud, it’s so useful that you probably won’t notice it.
- Cleans air of dust and allergens, pet dander, mold spores and plant pollens
- Perfect for any room and fits great in small spaces
- UV-C light technology kills airborne bacteria, viruses, germs and mold spores.
- Budget friendly
- Does a great job at minimizing light odors
- The small size makes it easy to carry and move
- A bit loud
- Not ideal for larger areas and heavy odors
- Ongoing expenses
SereneLife makes an air filter that will work perfectly for your home, making use of Oxygen Flow Filtration Technology, the built-in HEPA filter, and an UV-C light to kill germs. All you need to do is plug it in and you’re done! It’s very quiet with adjustable speed circulation, making it perfect for those of you who have multiple animals or ones with long hair. Dual layer air purification has an additional carbon filter to get rid of particles, working for rooms of up to 430 square feet.
Buyers especially love how the three-speed fan lets you speed it up or slow it down to the desired level. After only a few days, there’s a marked reduction in allergies. You can even use it to spread the smell of candles that you’ve got set up and probably won’t notice much noise coming from it either.
- Built-in HEPA Filter & Germ-Killing Ultra Violet (UV-C) Light
- Comes with a Speed Adjustable Air Circulation
- Really easy to use and set up
- Attractive, trendy design that complements any home decor
- Includes Additional Carbon Filter
- Comes with a three-speed fan
- Quiet operation
- Suitable for Rooms up to 430' Square Feet
- Not as effective in dealing with dog odor
Buy this filter in two different colors and notice the money you’ll save compared to other filters. The ultra low energy consumption and lack of costly filters ensure that it cleans up your air and goes easy on the environment too. Electrostatic Ionizer Purification used negative ions to remove small pollutants like pet dander. It’s meant to be whisper quiet, with a night light to help you see your way around in the dark. Use the carbon filter to reduce smell as well, and the UVGI technology to get rid of small microorganisms.
Even those people who are seriously allergic to pets can find relief with this filter. It works in small or large rooms and is small enough that you can easily place it anywhere. There are three options that you can use to adjust it. The light is unimposing too, and shouldn’t bother you too much when it’s working at night.
- Uses Electrostatic Technology
- Uses Ozone and Ionic Technology
- Comes with 2 fans for high speed
- Really easy to maintain and clean
- Has a washable filter
- Low power use with about 7.5 watts of power consumption
- Comes with UV-C lights
- Compact and easy to maneuver
- Emits ozone, which is not very friendly to people with respiratory diseases
Use this Hamilton Beach filter to get rid of allergens in your home. Rooms of up to 160 square feet work with the HEPA filter as it removes any of those airborne allergens that are bothering you. You don’t need to buy filters either. All you have to do is vacuum the filters to clean them up without spending lots of money. There are 3 ultra-quiet speed settings with a simple control knob. The tower design makes it small enough to fit anywhere too.
If you use these filters daily, you really will notice a difference in your air quality. Lots of people aren’t bothered by allergens at all after setting these up. Smell is reduced a bunch by the charcoal filters, and thankfully, you don’t need to spend lots of money on replacements either. Don’t be fooled by the small size! Households with multiple pets find that it works great too, no matter how many furry animals you have running around.
- Very effective for rooms up to 160 square feet
- No need to change the HEPA filter
- Budget friendly in the long run
- 3 different speed settings to choose from
- Ultra quiet operation
- Small and compact design, easy to move and keep
- Easy-care, permanent filter vacuums clean
- Works horizontally or vertically
- Perfect for the bedroom
- Not a true HEPA filter
- Not good for extra big rooms
The Honeywell tower captures up to 99% of those pesky airborne particles, including annoyances like dust, but also
It’s great that this purifier is so durable, so you don’t have to deal with any worries when it comes to moving it around, moving to a new home, or excitable puppies that get too close. After storing it for a while, it will still work just as well too. It works exactly as it’s supposed to in order to clean out dander from your home, and is thankfully quiet.
- Three cleaning levels to ensure that the air it discharges is fresh and clean
- Features a permanent IFD filter, no need for replacements
- Features a built-in ionizer that is capable of grounding most of the charged particles before they get to your nose
- Optimized to capture even the smallest particles
- Super quiet operation
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Doesn’t come with a true HEPA filter
This purifier works really well when it comes to odors, leaving the air smelling nice and clean. Leave it on all the time without worrying about overheating or any other issues you might expect. It’s so quiet that it won’t disrupt your daily life, and won’t scare your pup or kitty either. Just using the low setting gets rid of odors and other allergens within a few hours so you can breathe easily again.
- Releases negative ions to purify and refresh the air
- Activated Oxygen Removes Odors from Tobacco, Food, Pets, Paint, Mold & Mildew
- Very well made and durable
- Nice design that doesn't look like an air purifier, looks like a speaker
- Great for eliminating pet odor
- Results can be seen very quickly
- Bigger size and design
- A bit noisier compared to the other models
What To Consider When Buying
Now that you’ve taken a look at the best purifiers for pets, you’re probably wondering which one you should pick. There are so many options, but there are specific features that you should consider before you pick one up.
- HEPA Filter - The best types of purifiers include HEPA filters to clean out all impurities in your environment. If you need to be rid of allergens, this is the highest standard.
- Room Coverage - You don’t want to buy something that won’t work for the size of your rooms. Take a look at maximum room limits before you assume it’ll work throughout your whole home. That means you need to consider the square footage of your room, and since most purifiers specify the space they cover, you can easily estimate it one will fit your needs.
- Air Ionizer - Air ionizers charge ion particles in the air. This means that airborne particles are not only trapped but also attracted to the filter, cleaning out your air.
- Size - Of course, you want something that doesn’t take up too much space, especially if you’re placing it in a small area. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, so you have many options.
Usually, people place them in their bedroom, so make sure it’s small enough and quiet too.
- Quality Needs - Find a purifier that’s meant specifically to clear out your allergens. There are types meant just for that, like the ones that include HEPA filters.
- Features - You can look for special add-on features too like caster wheels, handles to help you carry it, digital controls, sensors, and so on. Many of the best purifiers are small enough to carry around with ease, including speed settings so you can adjust to your needs.
- Maintenance - Take a look at how long you have before you have to replace your filters to keep your purifier working properly. For those of you who forget or who don’t want to continually buy replacements, upkeep is important to consider.
Save this article for later by Pinning it on Pinterest. Just hover over the image above and click the P
There are lots of options for you when it comes to buying the best air purifier for pets. Pick any of these top ten to find some relief for you and your loved ones so you can continue to cuddle and love them. With the right purifier, you’ll be breathing easier around your home in no time. Leave us a comment below and share your experience about other air purifiers!