Have you ever wished you were a cat? Because I have. No work, no responsibilities. Everyone loves you and thinks you are so cute. All you do is eat and sleep all day long…
Well, dreams are just dreams. Meanwhile, you can make your cat’s life even better by buying him or her a cozy and warm cat bed.
It is true that cats can sleep anywhere. There are tons of pictures with cats sleeping in unbelievable places with their body all twisted like there are no bones in it. You have probably seen your cat do that on the furniture, heater and even on you. Did you know cats sleep for 15 or sometimes even 20 hours a day?
If you want your cat to have a special place for naps, because you are tired of cleaning cat hair all over the house, investing in a cat bed is a great idea. It is also perfect if you just want to treat your feline friend because she is family. A cool cat bed could even be a stylish addition to your house design.
But if you are reading this article, I don't need to convince you to buy a cat bed. You already know it. The problem arises when you try to chose one from the enormous amount of cat beds available on the market.
Which one to get? Big or small? Heated or not? Igloo bed or hammock? What if the cat does not like it and doesn't even understand it is supposed to be her bed?
Here is an article for you to help you decide. You will learn about different types, brands, see the list of ten beds and finally read a buying guide on how to choose the best bed for your cat.
Top 10 Best Cat Beds around
Synthetic sheepskin and plush fur
Recycled corrugated carboard
16 inch and 20 inch
Denier and polyester
Temper pol Compond
Velvet micro fleece
Small medium and large
Superfine fiber cloth and oxford cloth
Types of Cat Beds
1. Basket (wicker or plastic). A wicker basket is the most traditional type of cat beds. You can put a blanket or pillow in it to make your pet comfortable. However, a wicker basket is harder to clean and easy to chew and scratch. That is why you can choose a plastic one and line it with soft fabric and cushions. This type of cat beds is generally not very expensive.
2. Mat. A simple kitty mat is another economical choose. It does not look as nice as some luxury cat beds, but many cats love it. Plus, there are some heated models to warm your cat during cold winters.
3. Enclosed. This type is also called igloo cat beds. They offer safety and security for the animal together with warmth and privacy. Many cats love enclosed beds the most. And wicker beds are a hot
4. Hammock. They are usually hung above radiators to provide warmth that all cats love so much. Also, your kitty can watch out of the window, I bet she loves watching birds as hunting is cat’s natural instinct. Bear in mind that kittens and old cats might find it difficult to get into the hammock.
5. Donut. This type of bed needs a little explaining. Because personally, I do not see much resemblance with the food. It looks like a mat cat bed I talked about before, but it has slightly higher sides. Both the “floor” and the sides are made of soft fabric material.
6. Heated. Basically, this could be any type of cat beds described before. Only it has a small radiator to warm up the bed. The radiator is covered by fabric so that it doesn't burn the cat. For some reason cats generally prefer to sit on warm surfaces, so you can rest assured this is going to be your cat’s favorite spot. One more thing to consider is that heated cat beds are better for areas with cold winters. It doesn't make much sense to get one if have summer all year round.
Cat Beds Brands
While many brands make cat beds now, there are a few that are famous for high quality products. Here are some of them.
● Armarkat is the leading brand of Aeromark Pet Product Company. It was established in 1994 and makes such products as cat trees and pet beds. It was awarded TUV Environmental Quality Control test Certificate. The brand is well known for its quality, endurance and style as well as affordable prices.
● K&H Manufacturing is located in Colorado Springs, CO. It is the largest producer of heated pet products in the USA. They offer good quality, constant innovation and great product selection for dogs, cats, wild and exotic birds.
● PetFusion was founded in 2010. In the beginning it was a small company owned by people who had other jobs but wanted to have things that were missing in other pet products. These things are: functional yet stylish design; quality materials and construction; and, of course, affordable prices.
MidWest Quiet Time Fashion Pet Bed
The Midwest Quiet Time Pet Beds are insanely popular among pet owners. And the reputation is well deserved because they have many pros compared to the other models of cat beds.
First of all, it is probably the most economical model on the market. Many cat lovers have several of these beds to put in different rooms for the cats to have nap. In addition, if you have more than one pet, they all can have their personal bed and you don't have to break the bank for that.
MidWest Quiet Time pet beds come in 8 different sizes and 5 colors, so even the most picky person can choose the one to his liking. You can even choose the material: original fleece or plush fur. You can use this MidWest bed not only as a stand one bed, but also in crates, carriers, cat houses and vehicles.
The material is completely machine washable. The bolsters are filled with polyester. They are soft and your cat might enjoy resting her head on them. The base is cushioned with Poly/cotton.
Now, let's talk a little about the cons. As it is extremely cheap, you may expect that the quality might suffer. While most reviews say it is very easy to clean and does not shed, some owners report that it sheds fuzz and after washing the bolster filling migrates to one place.
But all in all, it is a great cat bed for its price.
PetFusion Ultimate Cat Scratcher Lounge
Yes, it is not a conventional cat bed, but it’s a great choice. It’s both a scratch post and a lounge. You only have to buy one thing while your cat can play and nap there. However, it’s quite pricy so almost like buying two separate things anyway. But this cat lounge is also a great design piece for the house. So, it is not two but three things in one.
The product description says that it naturally attracts cats and most reviews prove it right. It won 2015 Eco-Excellence Award because it is made of recycled corrugated cardboard. Also it includes premium USA organic catnip leaf. The construction is very durable and has enough surface for multiple cats to play and lay. The size is 34 x 10.5 x 10.5 inches.
MidWest Homes for Pets Deluxe Pet Bed
Here is another MidWest pet bed. And it is not because we are biased, they just seem to make good beds at reasonable prices.
Like the first bed in the list, you can use it either as stand alone bed, or for carriers, vehicles and so on. It is made of utra-soft plush synthetic fur with a non-skid bottom surface. You can wash it in the washing machine and use the dryer to dry it. It does not lose the shape, but just in case, use the delicate settings.
You can get it in 5 sizes and 3 colors.
It costs twice as much as the first one. But other than that it is hard to find any faults with it.
I have to say that most people buy this one and the first in the list model of pet beds for dogs. But they still work just fine for cats, who seem to enjoy them as well.
K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Bed
This heated kitty bed is soft and comfortable for using inside the house.
The heater is MET listed, uses only 4 watts and it is super smart because it changes the temperature according to the room and your pet's temperature.
When it is not in use it is 10-15 degrees warmer than the air temperature in the room. So, your cat will make this its first choice for a nap. But when there is an animal inside, it warms to your cat's normal body temperature and keeps them cozy and warm.
The walls are made of soft foam. The base is a thick premium polyfil pillow. It comes in 2 sizes and 4 colors. The red and yellow even have amazing fish prints on the sides – we dig it a lot. While sade or mocha will perfectly fit in any room design.
It you are wondering how to wash a heated cat bed, it is extremely easy. The heater is removable and you can wash the removable cover in the washing machine.
As you know, cats like to knead their bedding. But don't worry, the foam that covers the heater is very thick, so it won't be a problem.
The autumn is coming and I wish I had a heated bed like that.
K&H Manufacturing Outdoor Kitty House (Heated & Unheated)
This is another K&H cat bed. And it is as amazing as the previous one. Only this one is for us in the outdoors. It looks like an actual small house with a roof and everything. It will look great on your green summer lawn and the cat can enjoy fresh air.
You can get it either heated or not depending on your climate requirements. There are 3 different colors available. Although it says it is an outdoor cat bed, I don't see a reason why you can't put it inside the house. It has a water resistant construction to ensure the cat does not get wet outside. And we all know how cats hate getting wet. There are two see through doors in it with removable door flaps.
The house is made from 600 denier nylon with a vinyl backing. And the assembly is very easy and requires no tools, I think you will like that.
Armarkat Cave Shape Pet Cat Beds for Cats and Small Dogs
The best thing about these Armarkat Cave Shape Pet Cat Beds is that it comes in huge number of styles and colors. Usually, they would have just one model in different colors, but with this cat bed you have a much bigger choice. There are 10 different options. These caves are different shapes, different sizes and different shades. You can definitely find the one that is just right for your cat and that would look nice in the room design.
The bed is made of soft velvet and it has a waterproof and skid free base. It is filled with extra thick 100-percent poly fill which will make your cat comfortable. It is also machine washable.
Snuggle Safe Pet Bed Microwave Heating Pad
It is not like the other heated cat beds. You do not need to plug it in because it is not electrical. You simply have to heat it up in a microwave and it will provide safe and soothing warmth for your little feline friend.
However, it is not a bed yet. It is just a plate-size pad that you put under any cat bed or just a blanket that serves as the cat’s bed. It has non-toxic thermal compound that can provide your pet with warmth for up to 10 hours.
The good thing about this pad is that it doesn't have any electrical wires, so its incredibly safe to use. One downside is that this thing is as hard as a rock. So, you will have to put a lot of cushions on top for the cat to be comfortable or move it a little to the side of the bed.
K&H Manufacturing Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad
The pad is made of ABS plastic with a 5.5-Foot steel wrapped cord. It uses only 40 watts and works only when the cat is lying on it. It is MET listed.
The pad is a great choice of a cat bed is your cat often runs outdoors. You can put the pad in sheds, garages, barns, or any sheltered area, so that she can rest on something warm.
A nice bonus is that it includes a free fleece cover.
K&H Manufacturing Kitty Sill Deluxe with Bolster
If your cat loves laying on the window sill we'd looking outside, with this Kitty Sill you can make it very comfortable for her. The bolster is designed to cuddle your cat and bask the sun. You can zip it off if you like.
The sleeping surface is made of soft velvety microfleece. And it is available in kitty or leopard print. This kitty sill can hold your cat even if she is a big one, it supports up to 40 pounds. But it is better to use screws in that case when installing the sill. If you have a small kitty, use easy velcro-like adhesive installation which requires no tools.
Grey Shark Bed for Small Cat Dog Cave Bed
If you are looking for a cool cat bed, this is the one. It actually looks like a shark with its mouth open that is the entrance to the bed. It works for a pet up to 4 kg, though.
You can get it in blue or grey color. It has a removable washable cushion and waterproof anti slip bottom. The material is self-warming and it radiates heat back to your pet keeping her warm.
Looking for a cat toy next? - Here's our list of the best cat toys available
Save this article for later by Pinning it on Pinterest. Just hover over the image above and click the P
You’ve seen how many types and styles of cat beds there are in the market. It takes
However, here are some tips for you to consider to make the process easier:
● Size. This will depend on your pet's size. But sometimes cats like sleeping together, so you might want to buy a bigger bed for several kitties.
● Comfort. Cats love enclosed small spaces, they feel more comfortable there. The fabric should also be soft and nice to touch.
● Warmth. Sometimes simply the construction provides necessary warmth for the animal (high walls, small entrance). But there are also some great heated options to keep your cap warm in winter.
● Ability to wash. The bed should be either entirely washable or have removable parts you can wash separately.
● Material. Basically, you need two things from the material: softness and durability.
Cats love sleeping. And we love our cats. That is why we want to give them the best pet beds for comfortable nap time.
You’ve read a lot about types and models of cat beds. I think, you already know which one you like. The only question is will your cat like it? Be sure to feed your cat a good meal before introducing them to the bed and then slowly introduce them to their new sanctuary.
A small tip at the end. Don't force your cat to sleep in the new purchase. Let her get used to it and wait. Cats are very cautious, so it might take some time.