Many dog breeds are fine with normal harnesses, leashes, shampoos, brushes and other care products. Being small dogs, however, pugs require specialized care equipment and products. The fact that they are a brachycephalic breed (which also includes other breeds like Shih Tzus, Bulldogs, Boston Terrier, Boxers etc.) means that they have a pushed in face that affects their respiratory system. This attests to the above statement that pugs are not alright with ordinary pet products. For instance, harnesses are better suited for them as compared to collars. In this guide, we give you recommendations of the best harnesses, leashes, shampoos and brushes to get your pug. We also highlight factors to look for when shopping for the above products.
Best harnesses for pugs and how to choose
The harness you purchase for your pug should have a nice fit. It should distribute pressure evenly between the shoulder, chest and back areas. The harness should not cause any discomfort around the neck or disrupt his breathing. It is important to note that it takes more work to get a pug in his harness compared to a collar. The good news is that a little training lets them know that they can go outside and with time, they start to get excited when you show them their harness.Material is one of the important factors that you should take into account. Harnesses come in a variety of materials but nylon is most preferred due to its durability, lightweight and strength. The material is also resistant to odor. Other features you should look for include:
- A Martingale in the belly area will help stop the straps from looping around.
- Ensure that the straps aren’t too thin as they can cause injuries especially if one applies too much pressure
- A harness with snap buckles will make getting your dog into it easier. Pugs don’t always like to step into their harness, so if you can get one that buckles up, you can easily put it on and take it off.
- Stretchy harnesses are best for pug puppies as they are still growing but aren’t recommended for adults as they don’t spread the pressure evenly.
Now that you know how to choose a harness for pugs, let’s take a look at the best options in the market.
- PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness: It is a front clip harness that features a Martingale action horizontally across the chest when pulled. To make it easier to put the strap on, the one that should go on the underside has a contrasting color. It is made from sturdy nylon, with a plastic buckles and secured D-ring. It has four adjustment points for a reliable fit and maximum comfort. It comes in a variety of sizes ranging from Petite to Large.
- Puppia Soft Dog Harness: Available in six sizes, this harness comes with several pug-friendly features. For starters, it is made from 100% polyester. It also features a chest belt and quick release buckle. The padded neck opening is padded to ensure your dog’s comfort during walks. It is machine washable, making it easy to clean up.
- Ruffwear Front Range All-Day Adventure Harness: Labeled as an all-day harness, the Front Range harness from Ruffwear is designed to provide a snug fit as well as comfort for your pup. It features two attachment points i.e. reinforced webbing at the dog’s chest and a V-ring centered on the dog’s chest. These offer additional control when walking your pug. The reflective trim and ID pocket allow one to keep an eye on their dog even in low-light visibility environments. It is available in four color options including Alpenglow Pink, Orange, Twilight Grey and Pacific Blue; with sizes ranging from XX-Small to Large/X-Large.
|PetSafe Easy Walk Dog Harness|
|Puppia Soft Dog Harness|
|Ruffwear Front Range All-Day Adventure Harness|
Best leash for pugs and how to choose
If you are in the market for a leash for your pug, scrolling through a dog-supply website or walking into a pet store may be overwhelming. To help you make an informed choice, we highlight important factors that you should consider. You want to ensure that the leash you purchase allows for adjustment of size. In addition, you will need to make a choice on what type of leash you want. Some of the varieties include:
- Standard leashes are made from different fabrics (such as leather and nylon), lengths and widths. Most of them come with a loop at the end for good grip. Reflective fabric is used in some for visibility and safety purposes in low light environments.
- Retractable leashes have a thick plastic grip out which a thin nylon cord comes out of when pulled. The cord retracts when pressure is released. These leashes are not recommended for small dogs, especially pugs.
While you think about a leash for your pug, a collar is also something you might consider. That said, here is a roundup of the best leashes to give a place to start looking:
- Ruffwear Knot-a-Leash: If your pug is overly active and are looking to buy something with more sheer will than normal nylon leash, the Ruffwear Knot-a-Leash is a good alternative. The design is inspired by ultra-climbing gear and is made from kernmantal rope, a material also used for parachute chords. It comes with a loop for accessories like pick-up bags and lights as well as an easy-to-hold tubular handle for good grip. The locking carabiner ensures a strong connection to your pugs when taking walks. It features reflective trim that helps improve visibility in low-light environments. This leash is available in small and large sizes as well as four colors including Red Currant, Purple Dusk, Obsidian Black and Blue Spring.
- Flexi Explore Retractable Dog Leash: It is available in several sizes, making it ideal for dogs that weigh up to 110 pounds and extend up to 26 feet. It comes with a smooth, reliable locking mechanism It is durable and comes in Black, Blue and Red.
- Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Leash: Available in sizes ranging from extra small to extra-large and in twelve colors, this leash from Petitas is one to reckon with. It is 6-feet long, making it ideal small to large fur babies. In addition, it has a reflective trim that keeps your pawed friend safe from dawn till dusk. It is made from durable nylon to serve you for years to come.
- Tuff Mutt Hands Free Dog Leash: If you like to jog with your pug, this leash will prove a worthy investment. Designed as a belt, the leash portion glides on a clip to allow both of you ease of motion. The leash is 48 inches long and features a bungee cord extending 60 inches for improved flexibility. It is available in several color combinations including Gray and Blue, Coral and Gray, as well as Green and Gray. It also has three seams of reflective material and the belt portion can be adjusted to a waist of 42 inches.
|Flexi Explore Retractable Dog Leash|
|Pawtitas Reflective Padded Dog Leash|
|T uff Mutt Han ds Free Dog Leash|
Best shampoo for pugs
Has your pug ever rolled into something so foul that you could barely stand his smell? Has he ever encountered business end of a skunk? Is he always scratching and licking his coat? For some reason, dogs love the smell of disgusting odors. And while that may be fine with them, you don’t have to always find it acceptable. This is especially true if your pup shares space in your house. This makes bath time a necessity. The big dilemma, however, is which shampoos are best for your pooch. It’s not like there are is one option that suits all dogs and the selection is vast. If you are anything like me, you probably want to keep the experiment to a minimum by ensuring that you get it right the first time. Before looking at the best options that the market has to offer, let’s learn more about the different types of dog shampoos out there.
- Cleansing shampoos: If you look your pup over and find that the only thing he needs is a good bath, a cleansing shampoo is what you should be looking for.
- Medicated shampoos: As the name suggests, these are best for dogs that have skin, coat or other health issues. It’s advisable to consult a vet before using one on your pup as many infections, lesions, abrasions, psoriasis as well as serious health problems are diagnosed through coat and skin. Medicated shampoos are often used to treat ticks and fleas among other parasites. They may contain pyrethrum, which can cause health problems in some dogs. It can also dry the skin further increasing itching and scratching. Look for ones that are labeled ‘All-Natural Ingredients’ and contain oatmeal, tea tree oil, eucalyptus oils or aloe vera.
- No-rinse shampoo: It is usually packaged in pump or spray dispenser. You simply have to dispense it directly onto the coat and wipe off the excess with a clean towel. The main disadvantage is that it does not provide the same cleansing and conditioning properties of full water baths, hence not recommended for regular use.
- Dry shampoo: It is also designed for occasional use when circumstances don’t allow for full baths. It provides a quick fix to freshen and deodorize your pug. Dry shampoos are usually made from blends of baking soda, boric acid, cornstarch, and talc. They are often packaged in powder form and the excess has to be brushed off thoroughly from the dog’s coat to prevent excessive itching.
- Specialty shampoos: They are often used to remove grass and food stains as well as blood stains thus leaving a brilliant shine. Others are designed to enhance black, red, white, and brown coats.
Our best recommendations for pug shampoos include:
- Earthbath All-Natural Shampoo: The company behind this dog shampoo is known for their totally natural pet products that are formulated to clean dogs. This particular shampoo does not contain irritating soap, which makes for great news for pugs with sensitive skin. In addition, it is void of SLS/SLES, enzymes, gluten DEA, perfumes, synthetic dyes, phosphates or parabens. Aloe vera and gluten combine with purified water to curb skin irritation while the coconut-based cleansers, food-grade vanilla, vitamins A, B, C, & D and almond extracts help create a truly luxurious bathing experience for your pup. The main downside is that it’s not very effective for seriously smelly dogs.
- BarkLogic Lemon Tree Natural Deodrizing Shampoo: This dog shampoo is made from 100% natural ingredients and designed to get rid of serious odors with its natural scent as well as deodorizing effect. All the ingredients are derived from plants and are therefore non-toxic and hypoallergenic. It is suitable for vegans, biodegradable and manufactured in the United States. Working a rich lather is easy. Main shortcomings include a very subtle lemon scent, requiring you to repeat the shampooing once or twice if a refreshing scent is what you’re truly after.
- 4-Legger Certified Organic All Natural Dog Shampoo: The amazing moisturizing qualities of this shampoo make it a great option for pugs with sensitive skin. It is certified to organic food standards so you can rest assured that all of the ingredients are safe. In addition to jojoba, olive and coconut oils, there is also aloe vera as well as essential oils like rosemary and lemongrass. It doesn’t contain artificial colors or fragrances, sulfates, alcohol, PEG, MEA, DEA and other harmful substances. The essential oils are natural deterrents of ticks and fleas.
- Oxgord Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner: This 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is one of the most popular natural formulations of its kind in the market due its ability to cleanse and condition your pup’s skin and coat. Natural ingredients used include rosemary, shea butter, oatmeal, coconut and jojoba oils, as well as aloe vera. It is recyclable, made in the United States, and suitable for vegans. The unique ingredient combination is perfect for soothing dry, itchy skin and you can expect to see a glossier coat if you use it consistently. The only disadvantage is that it is relatively expensive in comparison to its competitors.
|Earthbath All-Natural Shampoo|
|BarkLogic Lemon Tree Natural|
|4-Legger Certified Organic All Natural Dog Shampoo|
|Oxgord Organic Oatmeal Dog Shampoo & Conditioner|
Best brushes for pugs
The trick to finding the best brush for your dog lies in understanding the type of coat he has. Some pugs have single coat while others like black and fawn pugs have double coats. It is also important to take note of the various types of dog brushes. Such include:
- Slicker brushes: They have fine bristles, which are best recommended for removing tangles and mats.
- Wire-pin brushes: Whether or not they have rubber tipped ends, these are best for medium to long hair and curly or wooly coats.
- Bristle brushes: Can be used on all types of coats and vary according to tie length of bristles as well as spacing between the bristles.
Using the best dog brush for your pup will not only help keep his coat smooth and clean, it will also help foster healthy skin. That said, here are our top recommendations.
- Furminator Dog Deshedding Tool: This is a great tool to have around if your pug has a double coat and sheds a lot. You can get one designed for either short or long hair and any of the five available sizes that range from extra small to giant. It features a stainless steel de-shedding head that reaches deep into your pup’s coat to remove loose hair. It also comes with an ergonomically designed handle for good grip.
- Safari Pin and Brush for Dogs: If you have a pug with a double coat, you will need a pin in your grooming kit. This model comes with pin head on one side and a bristle head on the head, making it a good all-round brush to have on hand. It is best if you are looking for something that can remove tangles and mats without pulling the hair.
- Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush: This model is designed to remove hair without shearing the fur top. In addition to untangling hair, it also removes dander and dirt from your pug’s coat as well thus preventing skin irritation. It comes with a convenient push button that retracts the bristles to remove any hair caught between them. And while you may not see the importance of this self-cleaning feature, you can rest assured that you will never want to go back to pulling hair with your fingers once you use it. The brush is also equipped with a rubber handle that adds to the durability and good grip aspects.
|Furminator Dog Deshedding Tool|
|Safari Pin and Brush for Dogs|
|Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Bru sh|
You will want to invest in the right care equipment for optimum comfort and health of your pug. It is important that you access his needs to ensure that you make the right choice. From his hair type and other grooming needs or equipment (like a good vacuum) to how active he is and size, there are many factors that you will need to consider when choosing your pug’s shampoo, brush, harness and leash. That said, we hope this guide has helped you to make informed choices for your pup.