As much as you love your dogs, their constant shedding all over your furniture can be a real bummer. All that loose hair can leave your couches looking more like a pillow making factory than a formal lounge.
Then there’s the clean-up to think of; you might have to vacuum up to three times a day just to keep your place looking decent despite all the shedding! Luckily, there are a few solutions you can try to significantly reduce the shedding. One of the most effective solutions is the FURminator deShedding device.
The FURminator can be a real lifesaver, especially for owners of double coated dogs that shed a lot. Basically, the FURminator is a super efficient de-shedding tool that offers a comfortable and convenient deshedding experience for both you and your pup. It won’t cut or damage our dog’s coat and will only brush away the top coat and any fur that has started shedding.
It’s available in a variety of sizes (extra small, small, medium, large and giant) and each size comes with options for either short or long hair use to suit all types of dog breeds. For instance, Jack Russell owners will appreciate the small sized one, while the medium size works great for Labradors.
The different sizes work great for different body parts as well. The large size gently eliminates loose hair in one fell swoop (okay, a few) and the small brushes can be used to comfortably brush away shedding fur from legs and ears.
Each one comes in a unique color so you know what to look for when you want to purchase another one and moreover, they’re all fitted with the ergonomic handle for easy handling.
The FURminator is really easy to use. All you have to do is sit your pet down on the outdoor lawn and wear protective clothing to prevent having all the hair you’ll be brushing off from getting onto your clothes. For best results, use the FURminator once or twice per week for 10 to 20 minutes at a time to avoid your dog from accumulating too much hair, as it might take longer for you to groom him next time.
It comes as a basic shedding tool with a short stainless steel edge and an ergonomically comfortable handle that’s made from a grip-friendly rubber material. It also has a convenient FURejector tool that when pressed, automatically expels the collected fur for easy clean up. So there’s no real formal ‘setup’ required, just take it out of the package and start using it. It’s that easy.
The secret behind the efficiency of the FURminator is its well thought out design. It’s made with superior quality stainless steel and has rake-like shaped teeth as well as a comfortable rubber handle that’s really easy to grip.
The FURejector button is by far my favorite part of the tool’s design because it makes for effortless clean-up of the device itself. I also found the variety of size options available really convenient for use on different breeds. For example, the large sized version is perfect for long hair and works great for particularly shaggy Rottweilers and cats.
Basically, all the different sizes make for a customized experience, allowing you to remove the dog hair quickly and more conveniently.
How Did Other Reviewers Find It?
To be honest, the FURminator has been met with a lot of mixed reviews from customers, but the general consensus is that it works great. Reviewers particularly loved how it shed the undercoat so efficiently to strip off loose hair.
Large hairy breeds like Labradors, German Shepherds and Rottweilers seem to be especially attracted to the soothing massage motion of the brush and fondly look forward to de-shedding time as they find it relaxing.
On the downside, the FURminator doesn’t come with replacement blades and purchasing new ones can cost as much as getting a whole new brush. This is rather inconvenient because the teeth do tend to deteriorate within a few months. Also, due to its sharp rake-like teeth, this tool can feel irritating to your dog’s skin, so be sure to use gentle force when de-shedding to avoid such irritation.
Do We Think It’s A Worthy Investment?
If you’re looking for something that will make de-shedding an experience to look forward to for you and your dog, then yes, the FURminator is a worthy investment.
The device actually lasts longer than most dog fur brushes and only requires that you replace the teeth with new blades when the old ones get worn out. However, the latter is the FURminator designer’s biggest faux pas; creating a device without providing replacement teeth for it. But if you don’t mind purchasing the blades separately every time the old one’s need replacing, then you shouldn’t’ have a problem with this nifty tool.
Apart from the technical aspects, there are certain benefits of using the deShedding brush that really make it a worthy investment. For one, it makes the whole grooming experience comfortable for both you and your dog, thus encouraging you both to do it more often.
Now this is great news for your dog because most pups tend to experience several shedding seasons throughout the year, with some breeds shedding more than others. So when you shed them regularly with this device, you’re actually helping to keep them cool and comfortable.
FURminator Undercoat Deshedding Tool
What We Loved
- Dogs love it! Most dog owners have reported that their dogs find this device very relaxing to the point where they will literally roll around with joy at the soothing sensation of having their coat gently brushed. You won’t have to struggle with getting them used to it.
This is great news for anyone who’s struggling to coerce their pet into accepting grooming time as a joyful part of life. With this tool, you won’t need to dish out treats in order to make de-shedding acceptable. In fact, if you use the right size and apply the right amount of pressure, your dogs might even start asking for it!
- It actually reduces shedding in a lot of dogs. Imagine no longer having to deal with clumps and tumbleweeds of fur all over your furniture! I’m telling you, this FURminator device is a real treat, and you’ll totally see the difference when you don’t have to constantly vacuum in order to clean your pet’s hair anymore.
- The FURminator doesn’t damage dog fur. Unlike other grooming tools with pointed teeth, the deShedding brush is not harmful to dogs. Instead, it pulls the undercoat fur without cutting the hair to remove the top coat of accumulated shedding hair that would otherwise end up on your living room floor or mysteriously, on the clothes inside your closet.
So it is ideal to use even on sensitive dogs that only shed a little once a year, like Greyhounds. It just removes the problematic fur without going too deep.
- You can tell by the quality materials used and the shape of this brush that quite a lot of thought went into making it. It’s really built to last and boasts stainless steel construction and a sturdy but flexible rubber handle that makes for a comfortable experience when using it. It’s also fairly lightweight so that your hands won’t get tired from holding it. To top it off, the bright colors it comes in are really fun and cheery. Those get worn out after some time but replacements are available for purchase.
- It’s really easy to use. Right out of the box, all you need is to grab the handle and start brushing your dog. It’s as simple as that. No fancy gimmicks, no complicated instructions, just simple and straightforward design that literally guides you to use it.
- You may also notice a marked difference in your dog’s appearance after brushing them with this device. Post-FURminator dogs look well-groomed, smooth, sleek and just really pretty. That’s because when you brush your dog with this devide, their natural oils get released, revealing a shiny, luxurious looking topcoat.
I’m pretty sure that this has an effect on their self-esteem because imagine how it must feel to be free of all that excess fur that had been hanging around their top coat all this time? Now, with their soft and shiny coat, they can confidently romp around playfully, without worrying about being reprimanded for shedding over important upholstery, curtains, clothing garments and/or carpets.
- The FURejector button feature on this is really awesome because it takes the stress out of cleaning up. What it does is that as soon as you press the button, it instantly starts expelling the collected fur from the tool, allowing you to conveniently dispose of it without having it fly all over the place for you to clean it up again. In a nutshell, the FURejector makes the job even easier.
- One has to commend the manufacturer for their excellent customer service. They’re always there to answer questions and assist with any issues that you might have. Although it’s a straightforward product, there may be some issues with shipping or quality that might require that you contact them and you can rest assured that they really do stand behind their product 100%.
- The FURminator product range also comes with a de-shedding shampoo and dog shed control cloths which makes collecting the hair even easier. These complementary products will basically help you to get the most out of your FURminator.
- It provides great value for money because it’s well-built and lasts longer than your average dog grooming brushes.
What We Didn’t Dig As Much
- Considering the price point that the FURminator sells for, it’s safe to say that it is definitely on the pricey side. Add to that the fact that it doesn’t come with replacement blades and it starts to even seem overpriced. It wouldn’t be so bad if the replacement blades weren’t so hard to come by since the only ones available typically cost as much as getting a new device altogether. So be prepared to shell out a few dollars to enjoy the benefits of this otherwise useful device. However, the price does depend on the size of the tool you will be getting so it might still be within your budget.
- Fakes! Yikes, this has to be one of the most counterfeit-prone pet products on the market. So much so that a lot of people have complained saying that they purchased an imitation from an online source and it won’t work at all. Obviously, this means that there’s a higher risk of getting hoodwinked when purchasing this online, so you have to be extra careful not to buy it from a counterfeit source and be sure to inform the FURminator team if you experience any inconsistencies between the advertised product and what you receive. Otherwise, they do typically arrive as advertised.
- When not used correctly, this grooming tool can be quite irritating to the skin and can even hurt your dog to a certain degree. That’s why it’s so important to get the correct size that meets your dog’s comfort levels. And be careful not to use it on sensitive areas with little hair, like on the ears and belly area, as that might spoil the whole experience for your dog as well. To figure out which size is right for your dog, check out online reviews from pet owners of different breeds that have tried the product to get an idea of what works for which breed.
There’s no avoiding it, your dog will shed, whether you like it or not. It’s in their nature and at the end of the day, it’s a small price to pay for the companionship that you get to enjoy with your furry best friend.
All in all, the FURminator works remarkably well to not only remove loose hair, but also reduce further shedding. Even if you are a busy pet owner who has minimal time to spare for de-shedding your dogs, this tool would still benefit you because its features such as the FURejector helps you optimize the time you spend de-shedding your dog.
Despite the fact that it may be a bit pricey, there is an upside to that because the price depends on the size you will be buying. So if your dog is on the smaller side of the spectrum, this FURminator deShedding tool might be able to fit your budget.
The more you use this, the less loose hair you’ll have to deal with the next time you de-shed your dog and with regular use, you’ll start to notice the difference with way less hair build up on your floors and surfaces. Not only that, but it’ll leave your dog feeling lighter with a skin that breathes easier under the remaining overcoat.
Yes, it’s a bit of an investment considering the price, but it is well worth it when you weigh up the pros with the cons and we must say, the sleek and beautiful appearance of the fur afterwards is a really good look on any dog.
All in all, we consider this device one of the best grooming tools on the market. Hopefully this FURminator Review has given you a clearer idea on how to get rid of all that loose pet hair!